Skip to main content

Translators & Languages

All the documents associated with your driver’s licence application must be in English or French, unless otherwise specified. Translators must be qualified to assist with your application.

Knowledge and Road Test Translations

At DriveTest, we offer all driver examination services in Canada’s official languages: English and French.

Computerized knowledge tests are available in up to 28 languages (depending on licence class), with full audio support, on a first-come-first-served basis. Paper-based G1 knowledge tests are available in 20 languages at DriveTest Centres, but all other paper tests are available in English or French only.

If you would like to bring an interpreter to your knowledge test, you can make an appointment for a verbal test administered by a DriveTest Centre employee. There is no extra fee for a verbal knowledge test. However, you will need to pay any expenses associated with your interpreter. In the north and southwest regions of Ontario, an approved interpreter must be employed (or have been employed) in interpreter services, be a member (or have been a member) of a professional association that provides interpreter services or be an experienced interpreter who is a member of the clergy. For the central, Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and eastern regions of Ontario, approved interpreters must be members of a provincial association that provides accreditation or certification or be accredited by a provincial or federal government. Interpreters must provide proof of qualification. See Knowledge Tests for more information.

We offer road tests in English or French only. You cannot have an interpreter, driving instructor, or any other passenger in the vehicle during a road test. Driver examiners can use hand signals and basic driving terms to direct you during the test (e.g., turn right, turn left, stop, park).

People who are deaf may use sign-language interpreters for their knowledge tests and/or road tests. To use sign language support, you must make an appointment for a knowledge test and obtain prior approval from a DriveTest regional manager for a road test. We will reimburse you for the reasonable and necessary costs of hiring a sign-language interpreter. Please visit a DriveTest Centre for details.

Translations for Supporting Documentation

You must present valid foreign licences, personal identification (ID), letters of authentication, etc. at the DriveTest Centre in English or French. If they are not in English or French, you must have them translated by an MTO-approved translator.

Translators approved by the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) include non-Canadian embassies, consulates, or high commissioner’s offices; you may use any embassy, consulate, or high commissioner’s office worldwide. However, MTO has not approved other translators from the country where the licence was issued. Please see details on qualifications below.

You must bring the original documents as well as the translation to the DriveTest Centre. The translation may be returned to you, but any original abstracts and authenticity letters you present will not. Translations never expire, so you may want to keep them.

MTO-Approved Translators

Translators used by applicants must be employed, or have been employed, in interpreter or translation services; be a member, or have been a member, of a professional association that provides interpreter and translation services; or be an experienced translator who is a member of the clergy. Translators must provide proof of qualification.

This site is registered on as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.